Safe Quarters is a grassroots, community-wide effort to collect change and other financial contributions for women and children who seek refuge at Friendship Home from violence in their own homes.
Safe Quarters also exists to raise awareness of domestic violence and resources available to help victims.
Last year's event received tremendous support from the community,
raising much needed funds for safe shelter.
The culmination of Safe Quarters 2009 is a one-day effort,
during which 200 volunteer teams will canvass the city of
Lincoln, Nebraska. These volunteers together undertake the
Herculean task of knocking on the door of each and every household
to request support. The date set for this year is Sunday,
October 11th, in the afternoon.
Individuals and groups can make a difference for women and children in one or more of the following ways:
• Form or recruit a team to walk a designated precinct. The job of volunteer walkers will be made easier by media promotion in advance of the event. To register a team contact Tracy at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (402) 434-0167.
• Place a collection container in a place of business, church, or other meeting place.
• Have a speaker from Friendship Home Speakers Bureau attend a group meeting. To schedule a speaker, contact Tracy, Development Coordinator at email@example.com or call (402) 434-0167.
• Designate proceeds of an event or fundraiser to benefit Safe Quarters for battered women and their children. Donations can be mailed to Safe Quarters, Friendship Home, P.O. Box 85358, Lincoln, NE 68501.
• Sponsor the event, a team, or a neighborhood. Sponsors receive recognition based upon the level of sponsorship. For more information, contact Tracy, Development Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (402) 434-0167.
• Raise awareness of the event within neighborhoods, social groups, and via newsletters and other publications. Encourage people to save their change or participate in the ways listed.
• Choose a creative way to support the event. The best ideas for helping to serve battered women and their children have come from the community.
If you anticipate missing the door-to-door volunteers on October 5th, change and cash can be dropped off at any Union Bank
location from September 1 through October 31. Checks for Safe
Quarters should be mailed to Safe Quarters, Friendship Home,
P.O. Box 85358, Lincoln, NE 68501.