Currently Hiring for On-Call Advocates
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
To provide support and advocacy services, on an on-call basis, designed to empower residents and children who are victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
Reports to Program Coordinator. Supervises Volunteers in area of expertise.
Knowledge and Skills:
Ability to work with and advocate for individuals with diverse backgrounds and diverse points of view. Ability to handle multiple job duties, flexibility in responding to unique situations, demonstrated oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated conflict resolution skills.
Education and Work Experience:
A degree in Human Services or related field preferred. Thorough understanding of domestic violence required. At least 1 year of experience in a position requiring a high degree of independent judgment and problem solving.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answers crisis calls, explains options, and assists in getting residents and children to safety.
- Completes in-take and exit procedures with shelter residents.
- Provides crisis intervention and advocacy to residents in all shelter programs.
- Provides transportation to residents.
- Provides basic education regarding the dynamics of domestic violence, the impact on children, non-violent parenting techniques, etc.
- Assists residents with goal setting, advocacy, referrals, and other assistance.
- Facilitates support groups.
- Provides advocacy and follow-up as needed with outside agencies.
- Reviews program logs and documents interactions with residents.
- Maintains records and statistics as part of the Agency’s Program Evaluation system.
- Assists with the training of new staff and volunteers.
- Assists in problem solving and conflict resolution among residents.
- Participates in the cleaning and minor maintenance of the shelters and transitional units.
- Responds to requests for assistance or supplies from shelter residents.
- Makes educational/informational presentations to community groups and interested parties.
- Assist with picking up, sorting, and distributing in-kind donations.
- Assist residents in moving to transitional units or to permanent residences.
- Assist with special projects and tasks as assigned by the Program Coordinator.
See here for more details regarding the On Call Advocate Job Responsibilities.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job